What features would you guys want to preserve (if possible) from UFN legacy site?

Always tradeoffs, and I know that people like the tree threads, but what else makes it actually good? I think that with a little adjusting we’ll grow to prefer some of the things this site does. Also, what things died on the site long ago that you’d like restored?

The hippos during rivalry week.

13 Likes

I don’t remember that site well, but I think live chat would be nice…like a companion slack site (or discord, as you know I’ve been pushing).

3 Likes

There is a plugin for slack, I’ll check on discord.

1 Like

I think they’re basically the same, but discord supports video game stuff that we don’t need. So a slack plug in would be enough. Thanks

The ability to ignore posters. I looked around and didn’t see an obvious way to do so.

Click on the users name and it’ll open a pop-up, click on the user’s name and it’ll take you to their profile. Near the top right there is a red ‘message’ button, and below that one that says, “Normal” click on that and you have an option to ignore. Right now the platform only allows you to ignore them for 4 months - the developers of the software have some pretty weird ideas about this. You can also mute a poster permanently so you never get notifications from them. (You can also mute topics and categories).

The archived posts and red stars. Gotta have red stars

2 Likes

This is a deep cut, but I liked having the screwed up language for posters who reached troll status. Funny times.

6 Likes

Clicking the little heart under each post does the same thing, although I don’t think it shows who liked it.

3 Likes

You want to dump me already? I’ve alienated you that quickly? :wink:

1 Like

As suggested my reply to the new site vote post, being able to expand posts without having to leave the main page in the process. I liked how when logged into the old site, all replies where visible and all I needed to do was scroll through page by page. No need to click on the post, read the comments then click back to return to the main page.

4 Likes

It shows who liked it if you click the number next to the heart

1 Like

A nice wallpaper section that gets updated would be cool. Love having a place to get new desktop and mobile wallpapers.

2 Likes

Feel free to create that topic under Miscellaneous category and I’m sure people would love to contribute.

1 Like

I would still love the option for the retro view that UFN has had, always loved that format.

1 Like

Here is a somewhat interesting stat - the old Utefans.net had 1,955,470 posts on it. If you figure 5 minutes per post on average (and many much more than that - minus Sfork’s ‘meh’ posts) - that is 18.6 years worth of time (and probably mostly employer lost time) spent on this site just writing stuff. It is probably double that for read time.

Here’s to another 20-40 years worth of lost productivity.

4 Likes

Being able to disable images in posts.

A smiley emoticon with a sombrero on.

3 Likes

Identifying the author of a post in the subject line or below the subject line. The logs on the right are insufficient.