Utes #6 in College Football Playoff Rankings

Oregon dropped 8 places to 14.

Baylor up 5 places, now ranked 9 (they were 14). Makes me nervous that things are setting up that OU, who is ranked 7, will now beat a top 10 Baylor in their championship game and that will justify the committee having OU jump us if we win.

They were discussing Oklahoma on ESPN U radio this morning. The general consensus was they were a one man show; and that one man gives the ball away too much; and that their defense wasn’t good enough. They liked Utah better.

4 Likes

I think you are right. We have to hope Oklahoma steps on their dick this week or next. They have come close to doing that in recent weeks (Iowa St, TCU).

Utah needs to up their schedule quality, if we want to sustain a long-term place in the minds of the CFP committee in the next few years.

1. Utah needs to quit playing that school in Provo. I know Utahns love the game, but the rest of the country doesn’t. Unless BYU gets into a P5 conference (probably never going to happen, because the Pac 12 will never invite them), wins against them are irrelevant, but a loss could be disastrous.

2. Utah definitely needs to stop playing FCS schools until such time the Pac12 gets better.

3. We need some P5 games on the East coast, because of the bias there. The ACC is a mess, and Utah can schedule a bunch of high profile home and home games with them.

My biggest worry, however, is that Whittingham has shown a lot of inconsistency in beating teams in big games. I don’t think we’ll beat Oregon in the conference championship. Of course, I’m worried that Utah cannot beat Colorado, because Whittingham has choked in that game too.

On the other hand, this team looks different.

2 Likes

Keeping in mind that our schedule is pretty much set for the next 10 years, I think that is going to be a gradual process. Adding Florida was a big step. I’m sure our athletic department will keep at it.

2 Likes

And keeping in mind that our schedule is all but set for the next 10 years, two years ago would any of us have guessed that a schedule that included USC, Washington, Oregon (potentially), Wazzu, UCLA and ASU wouldn’t have been a VERY strong schedule? We’re excited to have Florida on the schedule but they could be horrible by the time we play them.

1 Like

George Schroeder wrote this in USA Today.

"It’s Utah fans who probably should be most concerned. Because while the Utes moved up a spot to No. 6, there’s no certainty they’d remain ahead of either Oklahoma or Baylor.

Oregon’s loss, coupled with the committee’s sudden regard for Baylor, might have crippled the Pac-12’s chances. It certainly seems to have elevated the Big 12’s hopes."

It’s a better gamble that UF will be better than Duke who we stupidly scheduled home, home and neutral with. By 2022 Dan Mullen will have UF back to where it once was IMHO. His current class is a 13th ranked on 247sports and last year’s will be upper classmen for that game and they ranked #9.

You couldn’t be more wrong here. In fact, outside of seasons like this for Utah, often the only time the county pays any attention to Utah is the Holy War. I know it’s not a HUGE game like the Iron Bowl nationally, but it’s significant. The only people that think Utah should stop playing BYU are Utah fans.

Nope. Unless you mean Mormons nationwide most people don’t even rank it a top 10 rivalry in college football.

2 Likes

You are right. No one cares outside of Utah.

2 Likes

I mean, 1-9 in 10 years. It’s not a rivalry anymore. Tomorrow is literally the day to the decade since they last won. The iPad didn’t exist and Single Ladies by Beyonce was #1. Their win is in 4th grade now.

4 Likes

Even before, it was a Utah thing primarily. That’s ok. It doesn’t compare to USC/UCLA or Michigan/Ohio State, etc.

1 Like

So, I looked back and didn’t realize Utah has in the past booked a Home and Home with North Carolina, Michigan, Indiana, Texas A&M, Kansas, Louisville, and Pitt. With Florida, Baylor and Arkansas in the future this seems to be a pretty much resolved debate. BYU is unneeded for Schedule. If you need a give me game I’d keep it.

3 Likes

And I think that USC /UCLA is heading that way. Can’t fill up the stadium and people outside of LA don’t really care like they used to. I believe the real rivalry may become USC/Utah.

3 Likes

That’s my issue. I wear a Utah hoodie when I run in the morning, and some guy asked me if it was a “Mormon School.” I mean we’re an AAU school, one of the top academic universities in the nation. Even when I was at Utah in the late Cretaceous, it was mostly not a Mormon school.

No one cares one bit about BYU on our schedule except for envious Zoobs who go to a not AAU school.

The problem is that it takes two to tango and there was no percentage in playing Utah because they were likely to beat you (Michigan, Alabama) and there was little cache if you beat them. Just in the last year that’s started to change, with home and homes agreed to with Baylor and Florida.

1 Like

The problem is that it takes two to tango and there was no percentage in playing Utah because they were likely to beat you (Michigan, Alabama) and there was little cache if you beat them. Just in the last year that’s started to change, with home and homes agreed to with Baylor and Florida.

Most of us in the south are worried about the liquor laws. We just don’t want to take a road game where we can’t get double shots after if our team loses.

1 Like