Utah invited to join AAU!

I LOL’ed

BYU won’t get AAU (the most prestigious US academic) accreditation as long as they restrict academic freedom there. So never

3 Likes

They are not, and I doubt will ever be considered a research University.

They are primarily a great landing place for undergrads looking for a good education, for really cheap if they are LDS. They have a couple good grad schools; law, business.

Why is this such a big deal?

2 Likes

Props to the U. This is a really elite status they are now entering.

1 Like

I haven’t checked this, but it comes from a person I trust. Apparently only 34 Universities are members of both AAU and a P5 athletics conference.

Utah is the eighth member of the PAC-12 to receive AAU membership.

Interesting facts here:

1 Like

There’s been a pretty hearty debate over on cougarboard related to this whole announcement about why they are a better school. The only leg they really have to stand on is that their b-school and law school are ranked nominally higher than the U’s. However the trajectory of the U in that regard indicates that the U will likely surpass them in the coming decade.

I pay more attention to the business school but under Jack Britain (who in my opinion was an unmitigated disaster) the U b-school slipped from a second tier to a third tier school. Since Taylor Randall has become Dean the DESB is now a first-tier business school and rising. All of this helps.

And this is good for everyone who has graduated from the U. Nobody says, “Ah, you were a graduate when Jack Brittian was the Dean?”

One other note, but BYUs rise in academic respectability on those two fronts is a relatively recent thing. 25 years ago when I was graduating from HS it was not hard to be accepted to the Y (yes I am one of those who was accepted to the Y but chose the U). 40 years ago BYU was mostly a joke and a school for LDS kids who couldn’t get in elsewhere.

I only drag BYU into this because I got a chuckle out of their last two straws of superiority. The writing is on the wall in a lot of ways.

Point is, things change but this is a great thing for securing the place, value and quality of education you’ll get at the U.

5 Likes

https://www.topuniversities.com/universities/university-utah/undergrad
http://www.shanghairanking.com/World-University-Rankings/University-of-Utah.html

https://www.topuniversities.com/universities/brigham-young-university/undergrad
http://www.shanghairanking.com/World-University-Rankings/Brigham-Young-University.html

1 Like

I hope they celebrate with some Cafe Rio

The one thing BYU has going for it is that it’s owned by, heavily supported by and sponsored by the church. That, plus its very low tuition for members, attracts very highly qualified students from around the USA and the world (but not so many from Utah, and not necessarily scholarship athletes). That’s why admission is competitive and that’s why a high proportion of BYU students do well and go on to good graduate schools. It is not like BYU produces outstanding kids, it’s that outstanding kids go there. (I’m not talking about the BYU fans who post on sports message boards. They are a separate category, and are heavily populated with insufferable people.) BYU has high admission standards, high ACT scores, and all the rest because it’s the church school and there are more people who want to go there than they have spots. That’s the bottom line.

6 Likes

This is very true! BYU is highly selective due to popularity and cheap tuition. Selective /= Academic rigor however but zoobs try to make the argument that selective admission = academically rigorous. I took 2 supposedly upper division classes from BYU to speed up getting my degree at the U. They were both a joke.

4 Likes

You said it more succinctly than I did.

1 Like

*9th member

4 Likes

Yep, Utah is No. 9 in the Pac-12 to join the AAU. Should we mention the others? (Washington State, Oregon State and Arizona State and hopefully they will all join as well in the coming years but it’s pretty exclusive company, especially for public universities)

3 Likes

Good catch. It’s very nice to belong to the club, even within our own conference, isn’t it?

1 Like

For years I have thought, Arizona and Oregon are in but we aren’t? Somebody explain that to me.

Now I don’t have to think about it anymore

1 Like

Absolutely, particularly considering where we were in the 70s and 80s when I was a student here. To attain PAC-12 and AAU membership in the same decade is remarkable and a dream come true.

5 Likes

I always thought this was a well-balanced overlook:
Welcome to Imagine U

My Gahd! How many buildings we have put up!

2 Likes

This explains in more detail why this is a big deal:

# New Universities Just Joined the AAU. That Will Change Their Campuses in These 3 Ways.

4 Likes