Track & Field Championships

Have been watching this year’s T&F championships on youtube and just love it. Perhaps, I’m a bit biased because I was on the U’s track team back in 1989, but I really wish we had a men’s track team. Could also be beneficial for the football team.

It would even help our football program

T&F would have made more sense than lacrosse. Men’s soccer makes more sense than either. It’s a shame that these sports are expensive to run and that we are limited by football in how many other sports we can run.

1 Like

The new T&F facilities are great and we have a competitive women’s program. All we need is the men’s scholarship funding (assuming Title IX compliance). It was never going to happen under Hill and I would love to know what Harlan’s take is. Maybe a big donor has to step up.

1 Like

Utah state has track and field, Weber State has track and field, and BYU has track and field. I don’t understand why the University of Utah does not have track and field. Surely it is not a money issue at the University of Utah.

I agree with the poster above that it would be good for a big donor to step up. But isn’t the university making a ton of money right now and over the last 10 years on their P5 contracts?

1 Like

After thinking about it for a few minutes your problem is that your school is funding a ski team instead of a men’s track and field team. It’s pretty clear that the University of Utah Administration priorities are with the ski team.

Just ask Spence Eccles.

Uh, yeah. Same with gymnastics over other female sports they could do (but much easier because they have to match FB which has more players).

The University of Denver has won a record 24 team titles, including ten since 2000. The University of Colorado is second with 20 titles (plus one AIAW title), and the University of Utah is third with 14 (plus one AIAW title).