The official "What are you listening to right now?" thread

2 Likes
1 Like

This will make a lot of folks here happy:

Music fans who hang around YouTube have likely seen the 2004 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame clip of Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Steve Winwood and Dhani Harrison performing the Beatles song “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” during George Harrison’s induction ceremony. If so, they’ve seen Prince, off to the side during the verses, casually walk to center stage as the bridge approaches and proceed to pour forth a guitar solo so achingly beautiful that it’s become canon.

Last week, seemingly out of the blue, veteran TV producer Joel Gallen, who directed and produced the original Hall of Fame broadcast, uploaded a re-edited version of that performance with a simple comment: “17 years after this stunning performance by Prince, I finally had the chance to go in and re-edit it slightly — since there were several shots that were bothering me. I got rid of all the dissolves and made them all cuts, and added lots more close-ups of Prince during his solo. I think it’s better now. Let me know what you think. Joel.”

5 Likes

Better headline: “Director’s cut of Prince blowing minds on ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps’ now has more Prince. And we all know, when given a chance, choose more Prince.”

Still the greatest concert I attended was a Prince concert in the 1990s.

3 Likes

I do remember seeing that concert back in the day and your right, it was just a stunning virtuoso performance

That solo was divine intervention. Not enough people talk about Prince’s guitar virtuosity. The day he died I was working in a restaurant downtown and took everyone aside one by one and broke the news that he had passed.

1 Like

still the greatest halftime show:

Even the Press Conference was :fire:

2 Likes

Anyone that grew up listening to the popular music of the late 60’s, will probably recognize many of the tunes of this singer songwriter, although you’ve likely never heard of Laura Nero. Just stumbled onto this piece discussing her on YouTube. One of my favorite songs of that period, Blood Sweat and Tears’, And When I Die, was written by her when she was 15 years old.

4 Likes

Remembering 51 years ago today.

7 Likes

When I got my vintage weekend fun car with a cassette player in it, I bought some old tapes at a thrift shop. One of them was Whitesnake, who my daughter, about 6 at the time LOVED. We’d play Here I Go Again and Is This Love Over and over while she sang along. Even three years later, she requests songs from that box of tapes.

4 Likes

Another new (cover) one from the Black Keys. I think this album coming out sounds great, so far.

2 Likes

The magic starts at 1:40

2 Likes

Haven’t listened to them in quite some time, but darn they are good.

1 Like

Another one from my friend’s record label. I really like VNE’s sound but he can write a song:

I could be condemned to hell for every sin but littering.

3 Likes

While I quite liked them back in the day, I doubt Soul Coughing has crossed my mind once in the past 15 years.

This is now the third time I’ve seen them in the past week. A friend randomly posted one of their videos on FB, “Super Bon Bon” came up on Mrs. Skinypupy’s Pandora station, and now this.

That’s kinda odd.

2 Likes

Speaking of Soul Coughing, here is Mike Doughty covering John Denver

1 Like

That’s really good.

1 Like

Doughty’s solo stuff is pretty good. I always liked this one.

1 Like