The official "What are you listening to right now?" thread

Makes me want to watch Baby Driver again…

2 Likes

Saw them at the Terrace Ballroom with Black Oak Arkansas and Jo Jo Gunne. Great concert.

1 Like

Holy hell, you are old! (And I only know because I know what you’re talking about.)

Check this out (and yes, I realize you’re talking about the 70’s not the 30’s):

2 Likes

That short video is interesting. I had no idea Led Zeppelin played SLC.

Lagoon used to be a concert venue as well. The Doors, The Rolling Stones, and some other big acts played Lagoon.

3 Likes

One of my neighbors said he saw the Zep prior to the release if their first album and the place had maybe 50-100 people tops. Wonder if this is the venue.

2 Likes

I actually went to that concert, there had to be a couple of thousand there.

1 Like

I have to go back and talk to him cuz I thought he seemed to be describing it in a basement type situation.
But I appreciate that. He lives next door to me. I’ll find out.

But in that spirit…can you imagine being the teenager sitting on the floor in front of these guys?

6 Likes

I was at Lagoon with my family that evening and knew it was the Rolling Stones playing as I recognized the music - which was loud enough to be hear in a fair portion of the park.

I tried in vain to get my father to let me go to the concert hall while the rest of the family rode the rides, but I was only about 10 or 11 and there was no selling him on that idea. (The concert must have been summer of 1966 or 1967.)

When the Stones played RES, in 1994, Jagger made some reference to having played in Utah before, and mentioned the name of Lagoon, which got a mild laugh - I’m sure most in attendance had no idea what he was talking about.

1 Like

Led Zeppelin also played the (old) Salt Palace in 1973, at the height of their popularity. Spectacular performance!

6 Likes

I went to that show in Rice Stadium and I remember Mick making a comment about being able to remember his last trip to Utah.

I saw the last two Robert Plant shows in Salt Lake. I thought they were both spectacular. The one about 5 years ago at the Depot was my son’s 21st birthday and it was a 21 and older show so he just made the cutoff by a few hours. We were about 15 feet from the stage and being that close to Plant was so euphoric for me.

3 Likes

I also saw Edgar Winter, Badfinger, and believe it or not, Kiss at the Terrace. I know I saw others, but I’d have to think about it.

4 Likes

Wow! That’s awesome. I imagine the energy in the crowd was enthusisstic and vivid.

1 Like

Those must have been great shows
Sad to say, I can’t get behind Kiss at all. But, at the time, I’m sure they just rocked the place.

It was before every 11 year old kid in the country knew who Paul Stanley was. But they did rock the place. Gene Simmons set a curtain on fire, IIRC.

Not my favorite band, but it was a good time.

Probably the best concert I ever saw was The Who at the Salt Palace. Keith Moon was still alive.

3 Likes

I can get behind that one song about partying every day. There was a time when I wanted it played as they lowered me into the ground.

2 Likes

I thought KISS playing at the Olympics was atrocious. I almost died of embarrassment. But I know they have deep love for the band among respected U F. N. alumni…

I saw several interesting shows there during a short period of time in the late 60’s (when I was barely old enough) and the early 70’s, Steve Miller Band, Grateful Dead, Buddy Miles, Frank Zappa, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and one of the best performances I’ve ever heard live: John Mayall, with about a six or seven piece band, which I believe would have been the same group that recorded his album “Jazz Blues Fusion”. I know he had guitarist Freddie Robinson playing with him that night. I think it was sometime in 1972 or maybe 1973… UNBELIEVABLE performance! I was very much into rock blues, blues, country blues, southern blues, etc… But this was the first performance I ever heard live with a much more Jazz feel. I’m certain I wore out two vinyl versions of this, but fortunately still have a functional third :slight_smile:

Around the same time, I heard the Charlie Daniels Band, in of all places, the Capital Theater. The theater was so run down, I remember thinking the building should be condemned and razed. A few years later the city bought it and turned it into the Opera House.

3 Likes

They are rock stars, not necessarily great musicians or song writers. But they are adored by certain crowds. I never understood it. On the other hand, compared to the tripe we have to put up with today, they are really nothing.

I dedicate this song to @AbsoluteUte

Gene Simmons looks like bridge troll.

2 Likes