The Craig Smith era begins

Thanks for indulging me sancho. Sorry for my ignorance. This sport is seriously flawed.

maybe I M is in effect the support for his fgamily. Maybe he has to tranfer so his dad can have a job and put food on the table. That is a heavy burden for a teenager.

A burden we could (should?) have been happy to help with!

Rumors flying that Rollie Worster is incoming. Freshman point guard from USU. Replacement for Rylan Jones?

1 Like

Don’t know much about him. (Don’t follow USU.) Should we be excited?

I know nothing about this particular player or whether Rylan’s staying but IMO the Utes need two true point guards. The “one PG plus a couple combo guards who may be able to manage the point” model has failed quite badly.

5 Likes

We should not be excited to lose Rylan.

4 Likes

Having two point guards would not be a bad thing. The truth is during some defensive pressure sets, it’s a good thing to have two guys with good ball handling skills to break the press and trap.

Agreed. I just don’t know who the Utah State guy is.

1 Like

That might prevent other coaches (like Dana Altman) from simply pressing us and winning the game every time as a result.

3 Likes

I went and looked up the kid from USU, I think we would be lucky to have him. 6’3" 200lb point guard that as a freshman at USU averaged 9 pts, and 4 assists a game. If I’m remembering correctly was Gatorade player of the year for Montana 2 years in a row.

1 Like

The good: Started all season as a true freshman on a tournament team. Good size. Good FT shooter. Good rebounder for a guard. Form Missoula, Montana where his HS competition was not good, so there may be considerable upside.

The bad: Poor shooter. Bad 3pt shooter. Doesn’t get to the FT line much. A/TO around 1.5, which is poor for a PG.

1 Like

He couldnt get to the free throw line less than Rylan. IIRC, Rylan hardly ever took a 3 point shot, or any shot. I was hoping Pelle would be our point guard with Martinez at 2, but maybe Pelle wont be here either.

1 Like

If Jantunen really is gone, and if Pelle leaves…it may not matter who we have. We will either have a miraculous transfer haul or we will be a bottom of the conference team while we rebuild. We may end up bringing in bodies just to field a team as a stopgap.

We could be looking at a repeat of the beginning of the K era, where we had a team of basically walk-ons. This could take a while to get back to respectability.

Don’t misconstrue this post as advocating that we should have kept K.

3 Likes

I would have too much pride to ask my son to get me a job 🤷

It’s a real gut punch though. We had a good team - likely a tournament team - next season, and that makes it disheartening to think about a complete restart. It’s going to be hard to watch a bunch of losing all over again, especially if it lasts for years.

We suspected that firing Larry would mean a restart, but there was always hope that the new guy could come in and hit the ground running with a strong team. That was the scenario that would most likely lead to success.

Two of Harlan’s hopes didn’t materialize: He didn’t get his top choice, and we lost a lot of our promising team. If Harlan had a time machine, would he go back and tell himself to keep Larry? I think he would.

2 Likes

Reid was/is a religious family man, he was a dick because he needed to win to feed his family.

All coaches need to win to feed their families, but many of them are’t dicks.

7 Likes

Some of them are dicks, and some of those dicks are religious family men and some of those dicks live in a hotel alone. The Deseret News probably made a determination there.