The cool pictures thread

I was told that the oolite limestone from your relatives’ quarry so enchanted William Randolph Hearst that he had much of his castle at San Simeon built out of it. According to the story I heard he actually had a small railway spur built for the sole purpose of transporting the stone to Central California for his castle.

We met with a Manti stone yard owner today (we’re building a house) and he had some oolite (salvaged from demolished houses) on his yard. I asked him if there’s still enough of it available to build houses. He said the oolite quarries have been so heavily worked that the oolite is now too hard to reach and thus too expensive to use. So people like him bring in limestone from Kansas and other places.

Anyway, Sanpete oolite is all over Central Utah and also Salt Lake. It’s a shame we won’t see more buildings built with it.

The Park Building at the U. and the Utah governor’s mansion were a few of the famous structures built of oolite. Sorry, I’m mildly obsessed with Central Utah architectural history! Here is more than you probably want to know about oolite. Your ancestors’ names may be mentioned here:

2 Likes

Interesting…

I believe that at the time the stone was quarried, it was the Halton family name that owned the quarry. However, I’m not really certain of that and you’ve got me curious now - I’ll speak with her second cousin next opportunity and ask more about the history of the ownership and report back here…

No mention of the Halton name here - but I’ll see what I can learn…

Fascinating article - many buildings with which I am familiar used the oolite stone, including the Hearst mansion - which I would never have guessed, but now that I’m reading it, and thinking back to the building which I visited many years ago, it makes sense.

My father-in-law built an apartment building on the avenues, in the 1960’s, with oolite stone from the same quarry on the façade.

1 Like

My great great grandfather was the master stone mason on the Manti temple (and St George and also helped with Salt Lake). His name was Edward Lloyd Parry. There is a big monument for him at the Manti cemetery dedicated on my grandmas 100th birthday. I grew up hearing about the Manti temple and the stone so much that I kind of thought my family owned it. Even though I never lived there, I feel strong ties to the area and the buildings, though I am not near as knowledgeable as you!

Everyone, meet my client, Ali. His grocery store sits in the middle of a moderate-sized College town in Kentucky. He’s easily one of my favorite clients to speak with. Not only is it great because his English (he’s been here 30 years) is better than many native born Americans but Ali also speaks 9 languages fluently (many he learned traveling the world as a merchant marine) and he is currently learning three more. Bowling Green where I live is a “refugee city.” The United States when they get more “country” folk from a country send them to Bowling Green over say Chicago. He is someone who genuinely cares about the people coming into his store. From the Native Bowling Green resident to the newest arrival. Often times helping those find help where he can help. I’ve seen him convince doctors in their off time to help others who could not afford the doctor visit. Ali arrived in the USA from his native Bangladesh in 1988. Ali made Bowling Green his home in 2007. He and his wife and kids have made Bowling Green home and we’re better as a community with his being here.

So is the photo of something visually cool? No. But, we can all agree… Ali is a very cool guy and someone who I’m glad to call friend.

8 Likes

My great-great grandfather John Daniel Thompson McCallister must have known yours (Edward Parry). J.D.T. was the president of the Manti Temple from 1893 to 1906, and prior to that the president of the St. George Temple from 1884-1893. There’s no way they didn’t interact somehow.

From the article above:

In the photograph taken about 1901, six quarry men and a dog are shown in the foreground of the working Ephraim quarry. The overburden waste of shale and thin-bedded limestone has been removed with the help of the man at the far right and his wheelbarrow. The man at the far left foreground stands on the upper limestone surface where feather and wedges were to be used to break the stone free. Edward L. Parry, in a dark suit, and the quarry foreman in a vest stand next to stone newly broken loose and moved into position for lifting by the derrick.

1 Like

I’d recognize that skyline anywhere. Very nice effect - B/W at GSL, Stanbury Island in the distance.

Heard they’ve closed the GSL marina because the lake is too low.

Waahkai (aka Pilot Peak, just NW of Wendover) is visible from higher elevations in the northern Wasatch, 120 miles away. I can see Waahkai from just above the Bountiful Temple, on a clear day.)

Driving back to I-80, I was chased by a haboob which barreled southbound through Pilot Valley.

The Donner Party passed through here in 1846, along with other less notable groups on their way to California using the Hastings Cutoff shortcut.

The US Army sent Howard Stansbury to map the Great Salt Lake and figure out just what the US got in this island sea, after the Treaty of Hidalgo turned “Alta California” (Utah and Nevada) into US territory. Stansbury’s expedition saw Waahkai off in the distance to the west, and kept drifting further away from the Great Salt Lake, but compiled the first map of the Great Salt Lake, along with a fascinating journal of traversing the Great Salt Lake desert.

5 Likes

yesterday’s eclipse from Baltimore, MD

7 Likes

North Rim Grand Canyon. Cooler, prettier, no crowds.

7 Likes

Big Mountain Pass a few hours ago.

7 Likes

So… were you on foot, and did you pass a guy on a mountain bike in a bright red jacket?

It was a pretty day up there. My first time on the trail :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was up there late evening. I saw bike tracks in the dirt but no riders when I was hiking.

1 Like

I was there late afternoon/early evening, and saw several hikers. I was very windy and a bit chilly, but a beautiful spot with spectacular views.

1 Like

I told you about Cassi on this thread in Wright Brother’s NM in NC. Now Teddy is launching in Yellowstone.

1 Like

Which one of the trails were you on? I parked at Big Mountain Pass and hiked the trail that heads north, towards the Skyline Drive road that is on the top of the mountain above Bountiful.

One of my favorite rides goes from Little Dell Resv to Big Mtn Pass. There were a ton of riders in that parking lot when I passed, it must have been one of the high school mountain bike teams. The trail I hiked is a great bike ride, from the dirt road above Bountiful to the pass. Biking to the north from the pass is steep for the first 1.5 miles.

1 Like

I did that hike last year. Big Mountain Pass north to Holbrook Canyon, above Bountiful. About 13 miles on the zig-zag, 7 miles direct. I saw a few people near Big Mountain, then a few at the end, otherwise it was pure solitude. Nice hike, especially in September when you don’t have to haul so much water.

2 Likes

Big Mountain Pass to Holbrook sounds great. I’m going to have to put that on my list.

One of my favorite hike is Cape Royal on the North Rim. More solitude, since it is at the end of the road less travelled on the North Rim. Beautiful hike, and I could sit out on the point all day and take in the views.

1 Like