The cool pictures thread

Thanks, EUte

A couple of those were drone shots - Mavic 2 Pro - Hasselblad something. (DJI bought Hasselblad… crazy.) My mirrorless cam is a Sony Alpha 6300. A couple of those I just took with my cell phone, iPhone 11 pro

I still use the Sony when I need a long shot, but more & more I just use the phone or the drone.

1 Like

This probably doesn’t belong here but this last fall a good friend and I hiked Notch Peak and as we summited to the saddle and our last approach to the very top we saw 4 F-35’s come over the hill and dive down into the canyon. It was incredibly cool and this gif doesn’t really capture it - but something I’ll never forget.

There was a couple sitting atop the hill the crested over with those jets coming as close to a human being I’ve ever seen in flight. They said it was the coolest thing they’ve ever experienced.

2 Likes

more Big Sur news, just south of the park

1 Like

do you think April knew something was up when RJ broke out his Ray Nitschke Packer jersey and he asked her to wear her skull yoga pants with the matching sweatshirt and they got on the bus that took them right by Culvers?

4 Likes
8 Likes

Birdseye view of Irazu Volcano, Costa Rica.

4 Likes

Frozen whirlpool in Kuusamo, Finland

5 Likes

I’ll stick this here, because I think these are cool pictures. The whole landing of the Mars Perseverance rover was so cool:

2 Likes

My dad designed the airbags for the 1st rover mission (Pathfinder/Sojourner). It’s come a long way - airbags no longer work for the bigger rovers - this one was almost a ton. The 7 minutes of terror and the retrorockets are pretty amazing tech.

1 Like

I’m seeing lots of tweets with people asking why we are still doing this. I’m thinking of the tech that has been developed for this that is useful for life on earth - including the astounding navigational and automation abilities. This thing hits the Mars atmosphere at 16,000 mph, slows down to 200mph, drops the bottom off and then identified on its own the best spot to land and then steered there. It then lowers the rover down on cables and drops it off gently before cutting the cables and flying off as far as its rocket fuel will take it. All with ZERO human intervention.

When I think of self-driving cars… if NASA can land a 1 ton vehicle like that on a planet 128M miles away, I feel better about that tech.

On a more selfish level, I can’t wait for self-driving cars. How many people will be able to live on their own longer into old age? What if you know mom is going to get to her doctor’s appointment and to the grocery store without killing anyone?

1 Like

I know this is the cool pictures thread, but picture this:

• you don’t own a car
  • you subscribe to a ride service
  • you call for a ride, a self-driving EV picks you up and drops you off
  • the self-driving EV does this until it goes and charges itself in various centralized garages/lots

Now picture that you own the car and make money from it as it works while you do or you (instead of sitting there). We need many fewer parking lots. Home garages become smaller or obsolete or a workshop. I think we eventually get there. I’m investing in companies that I think will help us get there.

Picture this: you want to travel - you get in a sleeper car that drives overnight to your destination. No hotel cost. Transformative.

3 Likes

I don’t trust anyone who uses their garage for a car. Garages are for junk, people!

I’d love to take a family road trip in a pod where we can all sit around, watching a movie, playing cards, sleeping, etc. Once this revolution takes place, I will not miss driving.

1 Like

See, and I don’t trust people who don’t park their cars in the garage. We can never be friends.

3 Likes

Seriously cool to watch

3 Likes

“Pulitzer Prize award winning photojournalist Deanne Fitzmaurice won the highly respected award in 2005 for the photographic essay “Operation Lion Heart”. Operation Lion Heart is the story of a 9-year-old Iraqi boy who was severely injured by an explosion during one of the most violent conflicts of modern history – the Iraq War. The boy was brought to a hospital in Oakland, CA where he had to undergo dozens of life-and-death surgeries. His courage and unwillingness to die gave him the nickname: Saleh Khalaf, “Lion Heart”. Photographer: Deanne Fitzmaurice.”

3 Likes

Good to see you again! It’s been a while.

1 Like

This deserves an award.

1 Like

I’ve missed this place terribly. I’m a Ute through and through, and it’s good to be home.

1 Like

That is a true Cheech and Chong reset, only it was Chong’s sister and the sample was for his PO to totally ■■■■ with his mind.

2 Likes