Some good streaming movie recommendations thread

Pro-tip: Don’t watch “I Am Legend” at 2am when you can’t sleep in the middle of a COVID-19 pandemic. (For those who haven’t seen it, the human population is basically wiped out by a modified measles virus, with a few humans having immunity and the remaining are zombies). That resulted in some anxiety-laden dreams when I finally could fall asleep.

But that got me thinking - I’d love some good recommendations on ‘free’ streaming movie options - I have Netflix and Amazon Prime (oh and I guess Disney+). For whatever reason, what these streaming services recommend for things they think I would like, and what I actually DO like are extremely different things.

I’d prefer movies over TV shows, also to not have to pay to rent a movie. Any suggestions?

Netflix: Lawless, Inglorious Bastards, Hell or High Water, The Naked Gun (holy hell I forgot how stupidly funny these were), Goodfellas, The Irishman, The Highwaymen, Evil Genius (I think this one is a 4 part series).

1 Like

I’m sure I’ll get destroyed for this one, but we just watched Legends of the Fall on Prime and it was great. Beautiful music and cinematography.

3 Likes

Community

1 Like

I think Better Call Saul is on Netflix.

Holy ■■■■ this season was fantastic. I don’t think there’s ever been a better non-HBO series on TV.

2 Likes

I enjoyed The Foreigner with Jackie Chan on Netflix, if you like Jack Ryan type of movies.

1 Like

Moonrise Kingdom
Grand Budapest Hotel
The Life Aquatic
(Pretty much anything by Wes Anderson)
The Last Waltz (music rocumentary)
Spinal Tap
Thirteen Days (historical drama)
The Princess Bride (just too feel good)
Sophie’s Choice
Almost Famous
Inside Man (great robbery intrigue)
Contact (faith/science drama)
Nothing but the original Star Wars, but I digress…

2 Likes

Check out HBO, they are streaming free many of their best series including Sopranos and The Wire. I also just watched an older favorite movie they had free…Empire of the Sun…highly recommend.

2 Likes

Deadpool
Once Upon A Deadpool
Dracula 2000
All the Sharknados

2 Likes

Indeed! He’s my favorite director (well, along with the Coen brothers & Tarantino)

I’ve got to watch some old westerns: Butch Cassidy, True Grit, The Good the Bad & the Ugly, etc.

2 Likes

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

3 Likes

Oh I agree!
I didn’t want to pile on but,
Inglorious Bastards
No Country For Old Men
The Shootist (I think a great Western)

THANKS for the reminder - have not seen this in years - I will watch this today!

2 Likes

I don’t know what your tastes are in films, Rocker, but here are some more recent films ( 2018-2020) that I have enjoyed that are on the various streaming services:

-Parasite (Hulu - best picture winner)
-The Farewell (Amazon)
-Booksmart (Hulu)
-Fighting with My Famiiy (Hulu)
-Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Netflix)
-Always Be My Maybe (Netflix)

And for the kids:

-Farmageddon (Netflix - for kids, but a lot of fun sci-fi references for adults - its a “Shaun the Sheep” movie by the makers of Wallace and Grommet)
-How to Train Your Dragon 3 (Netflix)
-Onward (Disney+)

I also recommend the show The Expanse on Amazon, it’s high quality, mature sci-fi.

The movie was largely shot in the foothills West of Calgary. I spent a good deal of my youth camping in that area.

3 Likes