So... Beavers. Trap game?

The potential certainly is there, on the road after a bye and a big game the next week.

It’s definitely one of my fears, and especially when you add in the general animosity between the us and the Arizona schools. Whitt does great at keeping them focused on one game at a time, but there’s always a chance.

1 Like

I think all Ute fans who have been following the program for more than a few years always have that fear at the back of their minds. Since joining the PAC-12, there has been Colorado in 2011, UCLA a few years later, when we couldn’t even score one touchdown; the Oregon game — in 2015, I think; as well as that loss to Cal when we couldn’t punch the ball in from the 2 to win the game. Those are all games everyone knows we should not have lost, and that no one thought we would lose.

Nevertheless, I actually think this year‘s team is on a different level. I have tried to avoid drinking the Kool-Aid so far, and we will see if I am right. My Ute fan PTSD from weird losses does not overcome my hopes. (Although my wife often thinks that as far as Utah sports goes, I myself am hopeless.)

2 Likes

I would hope that the fact that the Beavs went into LA and blew out UCLA would get our attention. I know UCLA is kind of a dumpster fire right now, but they did beat Wazzu. I would assume that Whit knows that we can’t afford to overlook any PAC foe.

1 Like

There’s no such thing as a trap game in the PAC-12. ANY school can beat any other school. If we don’t take the Beavs seriously, we could very easily get beat.

That’s why we need depth, and why Whitt’s relentless mantra of respecting the process are essential… and those just guarantee we should be in every game, if we do the right things.

2 Likes

Exactly. I’m happy for OSU to beat UCLA. That will keep Utah on point, in my opinion. But the loss at SC is still in the craw of the Utes. The game in Covallis may be close for the first 20 minutes. Then I expect Utah to take over. Imagine the Utes putting together their first truly complete game for the season.

The WSU game was complete enough for me but I like the way you think!

I wanted to dispute the charge for the tickets with my credit card company, but remembered it doesn’t work that way.

3 Likes

The PAC is such a circular firing squad it’s hard to know.
I’m still suffering from the USC loss.
I thought it was well within our abilities and needed the win.
I think we have a better overall program and should win comfortably.

Are you asking if Utah could lose? Yes, absolutely.

Just look around the conference. Washington lost to Stanford, for heaven’s sake.

I think our “trap game” was USC and we got trapped. Still makes me ill over the points we left on the field. However, it’s over and I think it woke the Utes up from their pre-season hype intoxication and don’t see any of the others creeping up on us. Looks like Whitt has it pounded into them that “the next game” is the only game.

1 Like

Zeous’ point is well taken. Any given Saturday. It is my opinion that the Utes are pissed still. WSU was one game, a near perfect game. I think the Utes are going to blast OSU. Certainly, I can just be drinking Kool-aid. The issues the SC game surfaced are now points of issue for the team. I believe that and I think we will see that on Saturday. Should Utah win, and I expect a victory, even if Utah wins by 30 or more points, folks will go out of their way to say, well it is just OSU. I mean, Woody Hayes wanted to be buried in Covallis. He want to get as far away from football as he could. From my seat, the Utes are going to be even more focused this Saturday. And the final score will confirm that, I don’t care how good OSU’s top receiver is or the Beavers QB.

1 Like

I agree with you. This year, and with this opponent, I’m confident. I may not be so next week…

1 Like

We’ve been hearing a lot this week about Oregon State‘s NFL-bound receiver, Isaiah Hodgins. That battle in our defensive backfield will be a fun one to watch Saturday night.

1 Like

If the Utes play their game everything should be fine. It would take something pretty unusual for the Beavers to pull this out.

2 Likes

If there’s a trap game on the schedule, it’s Cal. We’ll be riding a three game win streak, our big showdown in Seattle is the following week, and Cal is playing with a backup QB who looks awful. They also have a very good defense. That’s the trap game recipe.

1 Like

As someone who deals with chargebacks all day for a living, you could 100% get away with an “Item not as described” chargeback for that performance!

4 Likes