Nice article about Alex Smith and his time with the Utes

Thanks for posting. A must-read for any Utah football fan.

1 Like

Great article. Thanks for the post. I was at that game where we beat Aaron Rodgers and Cal and I remember thinking that these two freshmen might be the best college quarterbacks I had ever seen.

2 Likes

Here’s another one. Ryan Fitzpatrick said of Smith: “Everywhere he went, he made the team better”.

1 Like

And to think Alex’s first pass at Utah was a pick-six at SDSU when Mac inexplicably burned his redshirt year.

2 Likes

Alex bailed on us a year early anyway. Imagine if MAFU didn’t burn the redshirt and Alex stayed all 4 years afterwards? 2005, 2006 with Alex Smith…

2 Likes

He got his degree in Econ, not an easy major, in three years. He would have been a fool to stay, and one thing he most definitely is not is a fool.

3 Likes

I maintain it would have been better if Alex Smith played four full seasons instead of just two. Imagine Alex Smith instead of Brett Ratliff in 2006 vs Boise State.

Furthermore, had Alex Smith been the first QB drafted in 2006, he would have been drafted by the Titans, a much better situation than the 49ers. Norm Chow.

2 Likes

Don’t see this posted anywhere. A long read, but a good read.

2 Likes

MAFU?

I’ve often thought that Alex Smith and Urban Meyer set the stage for Utah to eventually be invited to the PAC-12. Which led to us to be invited to the Association of American Universities.

Maybe I’m conflating causality with correlation, but I don’t think so.

2 Likes

A common reference to Ron McBride. He wore a hat with MAFU on it, which stood for Mental Toughness, Agression, Fanatical Effort, and Unity.

1 Like

I wasn’t alive during those years.

Deleted

Another article about another side of Alex that is no surprise, but impressive and inspiring.

2 Likes