Ma'ake's typically superb breakdown of the Wazzu game

Here it is, from the old board. Worth a read:

http://legacy.utefans.net/message.php?id=1955448#message1955448

One little item he noticed that I had forgotten about in all the wonderment over the great game:

Party Time at RES - The music selection that helps keep fans energized & engaged was fantastic. That’s a newish element, and when things are rolling, the energy between what’s happening on the field, the music, and the endless videos of fans dancing and having a great time is amplified.

There will be varied opinions about that, but I agree. People were really having fun, even when the game was still close.

A few people on Twitter are complaining about the music selection. They feel it’s skewing to older music too much. I sit in the student section, and was suprised to see a lot of current students dancing and singing along to AC/DC and Joan Jett. But they also went crazy for the Miley Cyrus song. I’d like to see whoever choses the music to continue to mix things up. I hate hearing the same stuff every game. and there is apparently 40 years worth of music to choose from to keep people as young as the current students happy.

4 Likes

I can’t remember what game it was last week, but during play reviews they were playing “The Waiting” by Tom Petty. That should be in the rotation.

1 Like

Sure beats the worn out “do-do-do-do” Jeopardy tune.

1 Like

As long as “sweet caroline” is out everything else is good

3 Likes

Nope. It was there and thousands of fans loved it. Not I.

I wish the band would learn this song:

2 Likes

Great tune !!!

2 Likes

I am not a music fashionista. I pretty fine with anything that ain’t country 1-800-goat tunes. When you consider a large amount of the crowd ain’t exactly young, the mix might be right.

Oh, and I remember spinning Sweet - Hooked on a Feeling on the turntable at KOHS in the late 1970’s due to a lot of requests. It’s actually kind of cool Marvel brought it back en vogue.

Rocking some Bobby “Boris” Pickett - Monster Mash for the Cal game might be a trip, too.

2 Likes

I personally don’t really care one way or the other about Sweet Caroline but when I see what seems like the bulk of the stadium singing along I can’t see it going away any time soon. And of course the grumps will continue to grump about it.

1 Like

There are two types of people in the world. Those who love Neil Diamond and those who don’t. My ex-wife loved Neil Diamond.

what-about-bob

3 Likes

The guy does put on a great concert.

1 Like

I think even Neil Diamond is getting sick of that song. It might even be causing him marital problems.

2 Likes

Regarding Ma’ake’s game evaluation, this particular thing has been standing out and will likely come to bite us in the butt sometime this season:

Special Teams: B

Redding pulled a FG and nailed another, and Lennon was solid when called upon. We could have done a little better on kickoff coverage, and there really wasn’t anything there in the punt return game. ST wasn’t the biggest factor last night, but they didn’t hurt.

We’ve taken it for granted what it is like to have exceptional PKs and punters (kickers are people too). That was easy money - its pretty rough to watch a FG and not be certain it is in.

Welcome to our new digs!

Not really a fan of that song, but when a huge portion of the audience is enthusiastically calling out “Bah Bah Bah” and “so good so good so good” we’re going to be hearing that one a lot.

1 Like

Let those on Twitter continue to whine

2 Likes