Just got my Season Ticket Renewal Email

Went in and looked at what the damage was going to be for 2020. Between “mandatory donations,” fees, seat licenses, and the ticket, I will be paying the same amount I paid for a seven-game season in 2019. Never mind the voluntary donations I made when I bought my tickets for all these years.

So we are now at $1,000 for two tickets in the NEZ with everything paid for a six-game home season.

This is going to require a lot of mulling over between now and the April deadline. After being sick during last season and missing games due to it (ok I watched on TV), and tailgating starting to go sideways, I just don’t know if it is worth the costs anymore.

I don’t know what that means. Except for the weather not being perfect, I thought tailgating was pretty good last year.

I agree about the ticket cost. I think they are slowly but surely pricing people out, but they refuse to believe that because “we have a 98% renewal rate”.

3 Likes

This has been the game they’ve been playing for awhile now. The price stays the same for the 6 game home schedule as it did for the 7 game home schedule. They will come out and tell us “Hey we didn’t raise ticket prices this year.” What they will conveniently forget to tell you is that there is one less home game this year, which means the price per game goes up.

So next year they will say “We have 7 home games this year so we’re going to raise it by the price per game from last year. We’re not raising the price per game we just have that extra game this year.”

Then the next year we’re back to 6 home games and the cycle repeats itself.

Unfortunately with a high percentage of season ticket renewal and a waiting list for season tickets, until either of those change I don’t see the cycle we’re in changing either.

A good friend of mine works in the deep recesses of the Huntsman Center in the Athletic department pretty high up the food chain. I have told him they are starting to price out the average fan. His response to me was expansions take money to build and they have to pay for it somehow. Harlan while he has done a good job getting the good OOC games is all about the fundraising and getting money.

3 Likes

Harlan has also been outstanding at ignoring any long-term fan input on issues like game environment, parking passes, etc.

3 Likes

The Athletic department has chosen to go after the bigger dollar customers and ignoring the long term low price customer. I know that a lot of tech firms here in the Silicon Slopes community have been itching to get their hands on corporate suites and higher end seats for a while now so I guess Harlan is filling that demand. Sadly those of us at the lower end will eventually get priced out of our seats. The high end seats and suites will end up getting filled with folks who are going to the game as a work perk to be part of the scene and thus not invested or interested in the game. I think there will come a time when the stadium atmosphere will suffer as a result.

Edit to add: I have noticed in the last couple of years an increase in the number of scenesters from my work and other places who show up to tailgate and sometimes the game as well just to be part of the scene. Utah Football is the place to be in the fall. It is hip among a lot of folks to be seen even if they have zero connection or interest in the team or program.

3 Likes

Very true. I know my nephew comes by sometimes just to hang out but doesn’t have a game ticket, nor really wants one.

But we should cut Harlan some slack on game atmosphere, right? I mean, it’s so much more exciting in the JMHC and having standard arena-schlock music blared over the PA really gets everyone going at both the JMHC and RES. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Curiously similar to how inflation works as a hidden tax, not to mention having to pay actual tax on inflated prices of things. And to think, a tea party was once held over what… 2%?

1 Like

What? You don’t like the monster truck rally atmosphere? You must not be a true fan.

2 Likes

[quote=“NewbombTurk, post:2, topic:3210”]

I don’t know what that means. Except for the weather not being perfect, I thought tailgating was pretty good last year.

I agree about the ticket cost. I think they are slowly but surely pricing people out, but they refuse to believe that because “we have a 98% renewal rate”.

[/quote] Remember those of us who got moved off Tailgate Island were left scrambling of places to tailgate. Most “Islanders” ended up with spots that weren’t a fraction of the worth of the previous site and carrying the same price tag.

I am glad your experience remained solid. Mine didn’t.

I know, it must be because I’m old. Just look at all the students at the games really getting into it.

1 Like

Ah, the “tailgate island”. Forgot about that. I’m sure the powers that be had a really really good reason for screwing people over.

2 Likes