For dog lovers

They don’t need a doorbell. The dogs barking across the street alert them to action.

1 Like

Rough couple of weeks and my dog can sense it. He is right by my side. He was a rescue dog, this was the picture they sent us, the left is him in the shelter, the right is after they cleaned him up a bit. Supposedly he was about 15 minutes from being put down and the people who did the rescue grabbed him even though they focused on small dogs. This dog is the kindest, smartest, most obedient dog I’ve ever seen. When we have to leave him with dog sitters they also say the same thing.

When we got him he’d obviously been abused and he had some stuff to work through. I can’t understand anybody who would want to harm this dog - he doesn’t have a mean or mischievous bone in his body.

Dijjit-before-after

And this is him today (he hates having his picture taken and this is him doing his best to be a good boy - I love that desperate look):

5 Likes

Handsome lad indeed.

@RockerUte reminds me that one of the intriguing things about dogs is how sensitive they can be to their humans’ moods and needs. We have two Australian Shepherds, and that breed is uncannily sensitive. My wife was in a terrible auto accident about two weeks ago. She was T-boned by a semi truck. Her car was totaled. Fortunately The car was a “tank,” and although the vehicle looks like it was hit by a rocket-propelled grebade, she walked away, although bruised and battered and suffering from some internal injuries to her ribs and sternum that will take 8-12 weeks to heal. The injuries are very painful. The dogs both understand this, and simply follow her around as she tries to function. As she sits down to rest, they are at her feet. They I simply want to be with her. This breed are busy dogs who usually need something to do, need a walk or to be played with, and for long periods each day are constantly in motion. Not now. It’s amazing and gratifying to watch.

4 Likes

Rescue dogs are usually quite loving to whomever rescues them. We’re involved with one here in NC. We foster younger dogs, and dogs that do well with cats. We get the younger because we already have younger dogs, and the cat friendlier/ambivalent dogs because of our cats. If our cats like them or tolerate them that’s a bonus in getting the fosters adopted faster. Younger dogs get adopted faster than older, although older dogs IMO do at least as well as younger dogs in the transition to a permanent family.

Some of the fosters have been hard to give up, some have been pretty easy. All have touched Mrs CCU and I in the feels. We’re always happy to see them get good homes. Now that we can do “open houses” at PetSmart we’ll get more adopted faster.

I could say more, but I think you guys get the idea. Rescues are almost always really good dogs. They know when they’ve found a really good place and are forever grateful for that.

1 Like