Food storage

This isn’t a topic we hear much about these days.

But all the white people bought up all the Mayo and Miracle Whip at my store.

Why in the hell would someone buy condiments and not food? SMDH

That noted…having a certain amount of non-perishable food on hand for situation like we find ourselves in now is a good idea.

I will never understand the appeal of Miracle Whip.

3 Likes

Come on LA, it’s in the name. It’s a miracle.

2 Likes

Not being of the predominant faith in this state, my questions is, at what point do people start dipping into their food stores? Until the markets near me started putting limits on the numbers of the same items a customer could purchase, people were wiping out the shelves with single shoppers filling their carts with soup cans, eggs, gatorade etc.

I assume some of these folks were practicing LDS with food storage, maybe not. Is this some sort of cultural hoarding mentality? I have seen reports that the state of Utah leads the nation in the rate of growth of week over week grocery sales. This is NOT something to be proud of in these times.

Here’s a link:
It’s official: Utahns are #1 panic grocery shoppers

1 Like

Purely speculative on my part but when it comes to people of my faith you can graph this sort of practice in a straight line by age of who is doing it and who isn’t. A lot of that is it is expensive and difficult to store up food reserves. There is also a lot less emphasis on it today than during the 1970s - Spencer W Kimball was big on preparation. So the old people have a year worth of wheat and know how to use it, and the young people have next to nothing in reserves.

But there is still an emphasis on preparation throughout the church. So while young people have been rolling their eyes when the old lady gets up and talks about rotating her food storage and canning and goods that store and those that don’t - now all of the sudden they are getting the wisdom of it. I think that is why there is panic buying here, is a lot of people who have heard for years and years and years, “Prepare, prepare, prepare…” finally realizing it was right.

I should note, most of the preparation in current times has been on having a few months of food reserves, and more for times of hardship. I have never in my 40+ years heard anyone believe that the year’s worth of food storage was to prepare for the end of times, but rather natural or economic disaster. Granted there are those in my faith who certainly have extended it to the end of times.

But today it is more about having a few months of food that you use and rotating it through so if you lose your job you can keep feeding yourself and family.

In January, watching this thing start to spread in China I did talk to my wife and we discussed how good our food storage was at the time and checked our pantry. We decided then to go and tune some things up and build up our reserves a bit - the goal was living a month or two without having to alter or diets in a significant way. So we ‘stocked up’ long before the rush, and by stocked up I mean we spent an extra $100 buying some canned goods and putting some extra beef and chicken in the freezer.

So we feel lucky that we were far ahead of the curve (for once). I’ve been able to avoid ALL of this madness.

TL;DR - Lots of LDS people who have heard all of their lives to prepare but ignored it are finally taking it seriously, hence the panic buying.

2 Likes

For the most part it was the generation prior to mine that took this very seriously. (The ones that purchased home wheat grinders.) My understanding of it was not to hoard, but to be prepared to get through unexpected tough times. What’s in vogue now seems to be to go online and purchase a bunch of dried food, which I understand is high-quality (we don’t have any). I know people who will buy an extra can of non-perishable food at the store. If they buy canned chili, they’ll buy an extra can and put that in the storage. And so on.

My mom was very big on canning fruit, and we probably had a 5-year supply of apricot jam. I think that was because she liked making it, however. It was very good. :yum:

For what it’s worth, the suburban grocery stores in L.A. are cleaned out just as much as those in SLC. The same thing happened there after the last big earthquake in 1994.

Yes, a common thing I’ve seen today in church was a list that would go around of “One thing you can buy a week to build up your pantry” sort of a thing. Just a natural way to build up some reasonable reserves, no need to hoard.

Growing up we always used our “food storage”. My mom built it up over time so that we had at least 9 months to a years worth of most things we ate and we rotated through it. Mom kept detailed records of how many of each thing were in the deep freezers, how much flour, rice, etc. we had on hand. We always had a big garden and a cellar full of potatoes, carrots, etc. and we froze and bottled beans, peas, corn, etc. As we went along it got cheaper to buy canned items so mom would buy stuff by the case during the case lot sales the grocery stores held every so often. Every year my uncle would butcher a cow and split the meat with the families so we always had that in our freezer as well. We could have skipped going to the store for a very long time if we had to.

I am not nearly so prepared but we are good for a month or so.

1 Like

Tastes like aluminum to me.
Maybe I’ll start an online cospiracy:
"Miracle Whip Made From Aluminum Tailings…

It’s called Miracle Whip because it’s a miracle that anyone actually likes it.

3 Likes

Well played.

It’s called Miracle Whip because most people won’t eat it unless they are threatened by someone with a whip.

1 Like

I never understood the appeal of Mayo.

1 Like