Favorite quotes thread

“A lot of people will say at the top of the conversation, have a good ice-breaker. What they won’t tell you… at the end of the conversation, UN-break the ice. You don’t want anyone else sweeping in, taking advantage of all the lovely little ice cubes YOU’VE created. So freeze it over again before you leave. Just as you’re leaving, just slide something under the fence like, ‘Death comes to us all.’”

-James Acaster

1 Like

I was thinking about some poor judgment I exercised not too long ago, and was reminded of this Will Rogers quote:

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.”

4 Likes

Also this one. Lol.

“There are no bad pictures; that’s just how your face looks sometimes.”

-Abraham Lincoln

3 Likes

“To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.”

Thich Nhat Hanh

“It’s so hard to forget pain, but it’s even harder to remember sweetness. We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace.“

Chuck Palahniuk

1 Like

You know… I appreciate that quote but I think for me personally it has been just the opposite. So much of the garbage in my life I forget but I seem to remember the good and happy memories. I really count that as a blessing.

Like if you were to ask me about life in high school, I know there was garbage and drama and hurt feelings and difficulty, but I really don’t remember it. I just remember the fun times.

Maybe I need bigger challenges in my life.

I understand. I think you are right that it just depends on the person and their particular experience. Chuck is particularly morose. He’s not my favorite. I will say that our struggles are often our greatest teachers. Maybe think of the gay kid who was bullied at your high school, or the kid with severe mental illness? That helps me put things in perspective.

“There is nothing so strong as gentleness, and there is nothing so gentle as real strength.”

–St. Francis de Sales

“Books are liberal and free- they give to all who ask- they emancipate all who serve them faithfully.” -inscribed in L.A. Library-

“If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain; If I can ease one life the aching, Or cool one pain, Or help one fainting robin Unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain.”

-Emily Dickinson
:heart:

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

Widely attributed to Einstein, and sometimes Ben Franklin, but it’s been around for 200 years.

2 Likes

“The book is a curiosity to me…”

“Men’s courses will foreshadow certain ends, to which, if persevered in, they must lead," said Scrooge. “But if the courses be departed from, the ends will change.” A Christmas Carol By Charles Dickens

1 Like

In duty, valorous;
In all things, noble;
To the heart’s core, clean.

Canon Frederick Scott

This is what is written on the grave of my grandfather who was killed in action on this day, September 17, 1944, at Bray Dunes Plage, France

7 Likes

“Shame is the shadow of love.”

-Polly Jean Harvey

“Be curious, not judgmental” -Walt Whitman

Ted Lasso last night had a great dialogue in why this is such a great quote. Gave me insight I’ve never thought about.

1 Like

“Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome while trying to succeed.”

—Booker T. Washington

3 Likes

“This is my home. Home is where the disease is. As long as I stay in America, I’ll never run out of subjects for songs.”
– Jello Biafra

1 Like