Drought 2021

I’m walking around on the U. campus with my dog right now and it’s clear that the University is allowing its lawns to die. In Central Utah they’re talking about disallowing water for yard maintenance two days a week. Farmers are the last to have their water cut or reduced, but they are worried. It’s going to be an unusual summer.

Record breaking heat isn’t helping.

I’ve been a long fan of perennial gardens and in the past few years I’ve been switching out many of my plants for more water-wise plants. I also switched to a Rachio sprinkler control which cut my water bills by about 30%, which was awesome - may need to do more conserving this year though.

Along my park strip I planted some sedum that needs to only be watered maybe once a month… I haven’t watered them at all this year yet. I was putting a little water on them yesterday evening and someone walking down my street said to me, “We’re in a drought you know!”

People are always very helpful.

3 Likes

Just watered my yard on a set program day for the first time this year today. Watered twice manually in May.

We all need to water enough to keep the yard from becoming a fire hazard.

I did this too, and my Rachio wants to use more water than I used to. Guess that explains why my lawn is brown come August.

It’s tough. On the one hand, I’m all for saving water. On the other, grass is by far the easiest landscaping option to maintain other than just letting everything go to weed. That’s one thing that home ownership taught me - the goal of all landscaping projects should be to cover more dirt with concrete, stone, or grass. Anything else turns into an unwinnable weeding time sink battle.

I’ll admit I like the green lawns too for the reasons you state, and it is one of those things just about anybody can do that looks great. One thing I think a lot of people don’t get is that fertilizing it regularly actually reduces water consumption for keeping it green (or put another way, you need a lot less water to keep a green lawn).

Not saying you don’t get it, but I’m watching my neighbor dumping tons of water on their lawn right now trying to green it up.

Oh one last thing, grass can’t be resurrected by water. Once it is dead, it is dead. Got a brown spot? Wait until the next growth stage, don’t bother trying to put water on it.

I xeriscaped years ago. I have about 1/3 of the grass that I had when we first built the house. The garden and the planting areas are all on drip system. The grass gets about 40 minutes of water per week (when it’s this hot).

3 Likes

You should listen. Probably an expert in everything. Get advice on how to cut your lawn, water, snow shoveling, car emissions, raising kids, solar energy. The topics are endless. Others always know better whether it’s the government, a nosy neighbor, a stranger or best yet - an anonymous poster on an internet sports board. :wave:

Ours too. This is something we wish we had done long ago.

1 Like

Forgot to add I have a B-HYVE system for the sprinklers. It has done a good job keeping my watering gallonage down.

2 Likes

I have to admit I water extra when my grass looks blue. My wife would not stop carping if I let it go brown. She’s not eco.

I definitely am not dumping a lot of water on it. I just let Rachio decide what it needs and when. It’ll be brown by the end of July.

I throw fertilizer on it twice a summer…but I’m not sure what I’m doing there. It seems to keep the dandelions mostly at bay. My neighbor on one side has a professionally manicured yard, and my neighbor on the other side let his go to weed. So mine provides a nice gradient.

2 Likes

Also xeriscaped my front yard a couple of years ago. Trying to figure out something for the backyard.

14 Likes

That looks really nice.

3 Likes

I was talking to my Mom about the drought in the West. I mentioned that we’re at 40% of our normal water for the Spring in Ea NC, and because of that our lawn was toast until this past week. In the discussion about lawns she talked about how important lawns are in the SL Valley, and by default Utah Valley too. I mumbled something about making the desert bloom.

That got me thinking about xeriscaping. My brother does that in his front yard, and has a small lawn in the back with his garden. My mom mentioned that is how it’s generally done in Tucson, and presume Phoenix then too.

Has there been any talk in Utah about more water saving measures like xeriscaping? At least with public buildings and properties? How have past, since 2012 when we moved here to NC, water saving measures been enforced?

That’s really beautiful. Who did you use?

Thanks. As I designed it myself, I just used a couple of local yard maintenance companies.

You’re hired!!

I get the appreciation for large green lawns. Where I live we get irrigation water for $15 a year or some insanely low figure, so everyone has a massive green lawn. In the 1950s, Bountiful, Centerville, most of Davis County was farmland.

There’s one enormous externality to pumping irrigation water from the Weber River using a pipeline constructed in the middle of the previous century: There’s not enough water getting to the Great Salt Lake, and a LOT of nasty heavy metals and other undesirable stuff is getting into our air as more playa is exposed.

(I’m ready for a much smaller lawn, Mrs. Ma’ake isn’t.)

4 Likes

Haha. I only dabble a bit.

@Ma-ake, according to my Bountiful native wife the Weber Water system is legendary there. Davis County made a great deal a long time ago, apparently. Kind of like Millard and Carbon Counties did, leaving Sanpete County pretty dry. It’s a sore spot. Also like Los Angeles and the Owens Valley water. “We stole it fair and square” is the joke in those parts. Water is such serious business in the West.