Covid 19 more along the lines of the flu

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

If one assumes that the number of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic cases is several times as high as the number of reported cases, the case fatality rate may be considerably less than 1%. This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.[2]

(https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387#)

I blame Stephen King’s “The Stand” for the hysteria. Him killing off like 90 percent of the population with “Captain Tripps,” added with the Spanish influenza of the last century - a real pandemic, and the world begins scrambling.

It makes me wish I still had my “Happy Birthday to the Plague” t-shirt I bought from National Lampoon back in the 1980’s. We still see cases of the plague and nobody talks about it.

Getting sick sucks, and as a diabetic it sucks more. Before diabetes, a flu ran its course in 24 to 36 hours. Now I am down for 3 days on the short end, and usually 5 days. It is why I get a flu shot every fall. Now here comes a flu that doesn’t have a shot to prevent getting it. That is my concern. Hopefully by the next go around there will be a shot ready to prevent getting it.

Thanks for posting and restarting the thread with a reliable and responsible journal resource. (it must have gone off the rails last night)
At this point we’re all just gonna have to bear down, take care of each other, and appreciate how fragile life can be.
Go UTES!

1 Like

Yes, unfortunately despite repeated requests people just couldn’t keep the politics out of it, so I moved the whole thread to that category. So let’s keep this thread free of that stuff and if you want a political discussion (for donors) join there instead. I will delete political posts from this thread.

3 Likes

We’re all gonna die and I blame Republicans/Nazis/Democrats/Statists/Sovereign Freaks/Your dickhead boss/My ex/Your ex/You personally

3 Likes

Don’t forget this guy…

2 Likes

I imagine that’s a spirited discussion…
Unfortunately, these types of world events do involve politics, so I regret that we all can’t participate in our courteous and respectful manner.
Anyway, I understand the rules.

1 Like

Saw that. Started to respond and canceled. Slept on it and posted what I thought would be a more responsible post from the best sources in the field.

1 Like

I blame the 1980’s. Those hair bands and pseudo-disco, rap, grunge, pop western, pop, new wave…things just ruined the airwaves - sort of. At least there were a few classic rock stations still on the air.

Oh and I blame the Aliens. If it’s good enough for the History Channel to do it, it’s good enough for me. :wink::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Did anyone else see that Gary Anderson signed that guy’s son to play LB at USU?

Which one? Raider? Chief? Charger? I think they have the entire afc west in the mendenhall house

2 Likes

Did I miss some hysteria? Or are we just talking about the market?

The market…the Costco water trolls…the medical mask hoarders…the phone calls to my office (and I am no epidemiologist, MD, etc) about the bug…the FacePlace kerfuffle on the community group pages…It’s a damned mess of fear and misinformation.

I’ve been working in local government for almost 15 years and this reaction by the masses is really something I hoped I would never see; and if I saw it, it would be because we had an earthquake…a really big earthquake - and I don’t want to see that either.

Like I stated earlier, I hope they get an immunization for it developed sooner than later.

4 Likes

Unrelated to this sort of, but when the eclipse happened a couple of years ago we went up to Idaho to watch it. A normal 3 hour drive took 12 to get home, with traffic at a near standstill nearly the entire way. It helped me realize that if we ever needed to flee an area we are cooked, and that was just a small part of the population who cared enough to take the day off, and no panic involved either.

I’ve since wondered with hurricanes etc, how they get people out of there, are the road systems better on the east coast? It was enough of a disaster that I thought that I might be one of those ‘shelter in place’ guys that defy orders to leave the area.

3 Likes

Don’t tell me what to do. You’re not my mother.

3 Likes

I think they open up the freeways and have an actual evac plan. Also, you know when a hurricane is coming so not everyone bails the same day. Utah’s disaster is going to be an earthquake and we’re effed in terms of warnings given.

1 Like

I evacuated for Hurricane Gustov (first evac after Katrina) when I lived in New Orleans. The evacuation is as you described your eclipse vacation - 15 hours of stop and go traffic to get to Jackson, MS, which is a 3 hour drive under normal conditions. That’s just how it is. There’s no magic evacuation plan. This is why people are so hesitant to evacuate.

4 Likes

Wow, I’m glad I’m not in your circle. I haven’t seen anything close to panic or hysteria other than the hysterical conspiracy theories about calories, the CDC, and aliens.

I thought people would be more wound up at church on Sunday, but there wasn’t any panic to speak of.

1 Like

I haven’t seen any hysteria either. My wife and I did go look at our storage to see if we had enough regular food to last us a month if things got shut down. Not because of any particular concern, just as a good check-up and also because I don’t want to be caught in any hysteria. We’d be fine and other than fresh milk I don’t think we’d have to alter our diet much. (For the record I don’t think that will happen, but you never know).

Thinking about fresh milk now, there are plenty of neighborhood cats wandering around, we should be fine on that too.

1 Like