California passes law allowing college athletes to make money from endorsements

Maybe we should make a topic called “California ruins everything”.

[quote=“RockerUte, post:1, topic:383, full:true”]

Maybe we should make a topic called “California ruins everything”.[/quote]

It used to be that we led out in so many things. Now we have a legislature that likes to make policy for the whole country, IMO. I think this is a bad way to make policy and an especially bad way to approach the payment issue. I am not sure it will survive.

1 Like

I think the payment issue is a legitimate issue, but what makes is legit is the excess everywhere. Facilities and coaching salaries are ridiculous, and under that system, it really is wrong for the players not to be paid more.

If we could reign in the excess, though, the players have a great deal. We need salary caps on coaches and spending limits in athletic departments. Let the revenue go back to the universities, and then a student-athlete model based on amateurism makes all the sense in the world.

Also, the motto with regards to changes in college football and basketball should be “do no harm.” We have a status quo with sports that we love, sports that make millions. We should think long and hard about making significant changes to that system. They could easily end up killing the golden goose.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more that the coaching salaries are out of control, but the facilities are generally a big benefit to the players. Any additional benefit you give to the athletes without outright “paying” them is a good compromise in my book.

I worked 20-hours a week on campus to help finance my education. The BYU-H students that perform at the PCC get paid for their training and rehearsals. I have no problem if college athletes get paid for twenty hours a week for practice and game time, so long as their rate of pay is similar to what other student jobs pay on campus. I am opposed to allowing college athletes to accept money for endorsements or appearances, or from sponsors, boosters and agents.

1 Like

Yep, if there isn’t some reasonable cap on compensation that all schools competing at the same level can reasonably pay then it will be the end of Utah football and basketball as even potentially competitive entities.

1 Like

13 other states jump on the bandwagon. I think this is going to happen, and I hope everyone involved can find a way to do it without damaging college sports.

Coach Leach is always entertaining. I think he makes some good points. This will need some level of regulation.

Mike Leach: College athlete endorsements would lead to ‘openly buying players without any salary cap’

https://sports.yahoo.com/mike-leach-college-athlete-endorsements-would-lead-to-openly-buying-players-without-any-salary-cap-215040660.html

So now everyone gets a trip to the Busby safehouse for new socks, Harry Potter stuff, and use of a Jetta?

I guess openly buying players is better than inconspicuously buying players.

Can’t wait for the commercials during a game, where local semi-truck repair shop uses BSU’s QB to endorse the transmission repairs. Would the athlete now have to join SAG? I hear they have great health care.

It’s so sad to see cynicism in one so young. :wink:

1 Like

The ncaa had a chance to set up some regulations, but they waited 5 years and blew their chance. Now they won’t be able to stay ahead of the game at all.

I am all for players making money off their likeness, but it certainly seems there will be thousands of players getting a check from Navin R. Johnson for “Three dollars AND NINE CENTS!!”, mixed in with the rare big-dollar endorsements.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. Smaller market schools might suffer, but if you had the chance to be the one guy pulling in all the local commercials versus one of fifty guys spreading around the car dealership ad money, maybe getting that exclusive cattle feed deal mixed in with various local diners in Ft. Collins might be the thing that tips the scales toward CSU?